April 29th 1949 was
a significant date in the musical life of Scunthorpe and District. After the Second
World War opportunities opened up, for the lover of classical music, to hear the
leading orchestras of the day. John Barbirolli was weaving his magic spells with
the Hallé Orchestra, and Sheffield and Manchester shared the same programme on
most weeks of the concert season.
group of friends in Scunthorpe attended these concerts in Sheffield and, at the
end of the 1948 - 1949 season, arranged for a recital to be given in the Cole
Street Hall by Arthur Percival, the then sub-leader of the Hallé, accompanied
by a local musician, Dr Stafford. This initial performance in 1949 was the beginning
of the Scunthorpe Music Club.
first Secretary was Ellen (Nell) Houghton and singers and instrumentalists such
as Owen Brannigan, John Heddle Nash, Joseph Cooper, Allan Schiller, Marisa Robles,
Peter Donohue, Anthony Goldstone and the Fitzwilliam Quartet were engaged. The
concerts took place in St Lawrences Church Hall and the Hallé link continued
when Arthur Percival attended the 21st Anniversary Dinner in 1970. In 1971, the
co-leader of the Hallé, Martin Milner, gave a violin recital and in 1974 he was
the guest speaker at the Silver Jubilee Dinner, when he spoke on the subject J.B.
For the next season, full membership was £3.00 and single concerts were available
from 60p !
1976, Nell Houghton retired, and at a celebratory dinner she played part of the
Bach Double Violin Concerto with Martin Milner. Mary Hipkins, already a committee
member, became the Honorary Secretary. About this time too, some concerts were
held at the Grammar School, but in 1988, the Music Club started to use the John
Leggott Sixth Form College Hall and one year later change its name to The Scunthorpe
and Glanford Concert Society.
In recent years, a combination of performances by national and international artistes,
and a steadily growing membership, has created an enriching musical experience.
Recitals by Moura Lympany, John Lill, Martin Roscoe, Michael Collins, Ilya Itin,
Vladimir Ovchinikov, Leon McCauley, London and Nemo Brass, the Gabrieli Quartet,
amongst many others, have attracted regular audiences of over two hundred. In
1994 the Society bought its own concert piano and in 1998 changed its name, yet
again, to THE SCUNTHORPE AND NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE CONCERT SOCIETY.
theme of the 1998 - 1999 Jubilee Season was Many Happy Returns. Two years previously,
the members had been asked to nominate their favourite performers from the preceding
years and a compilation was made of their choices. Emma Johnson and Julius Drake
drew their usual capacity audience; our annual concert sponsored by The Countess
of Munster Trust was a harpist, Catherine Beynon and soprano Mary-Louise Aitken,
followed by nine soloists from the Northern Chamber Orchestra. The Christmas concert
was by City Waites, and in the New Year we had a sell out for Tasmin Little
and Piers Lane. This event was dedicated to the memory of Nell Houghton. Anthony
Goldstone and Caroline Clemmow - a piano duo who live locally in North Lincolnshire
- were followed by Nemo Brass, and the year ended, almost fifty years to the day
from the founding of the Society, with Cantamus Choir who included a new work
by Andrew Carter that had been commissioned by the Society for its Golden Jubilee.
A Jubilee dinner was held at the Wortley Hotel.
Millennium Season began with Peter Donohue, followed by the Guarneri Trio of Prague,
the Belcea String Quartet and Zephyr Winds. The guitarist, Craig Ogden, made a
return visit with the flautist, Jonathan Rimmer. Next was the harpist Rachel Bartels
and the Bass singer Timothy Mirfin and finally the cellist Richard Jenkinson accompanied,
on the piano, by Benjamin Frith.
Society was thus well set up for the new century and has continued to promote
concerts of the highest quality with an array of truly international artistes:
Nikolai Demidenko, Ashley Wass, Evgeny Soifertis, The Janacek String Quartet,
Marat Bisengaliev, Fine Arts Brass, The Hugo Wolf String Quartet, London Concertante,
Leonid Gorokhov and Touchwood Quartet. .
Patron of the Society is John Clugston.
John is the chairman of Clugston
Civil Engineering in Scunthorpe,
One time High Sheriff of Humberside, he
Deputy Lieutenant of Lincolnshire.
feature of each of our concerts is the programme. This usually contains extensive
notes about each musical item.
These are written by our Chairman, Graham
Saunders, who is a Lecturer in Music at the University of Hull.
Management Committee consists of the following members,
who may be contacted
on matters relating to the Society.
& Mrs Brian Newbould
S N Kavanagh
In 2001, the Society
presented the Honorary Secretary, Mary Hipkins, with two bronze statuettes to
twenty five years of work for the Society as Honarary Secretary.
are nine additional members of a Management Committee who are elected at the Annual
They have joint responsibility with the officers for the
planning of the programme, the publicity, front of house duties
refreshments at the concerts.
concerts are held in New
Theatre, Outwood Academy Foxhills, 2 Foxhills Road, Scunthorpe, DN15 8LJ
Society is a member of the National Federation of Music Societies (NFMS)
participate in the annual meeting of the Yorkshire Network where Music
from the North of England meet to exchange information on available
and to plan mini-tours of artistes within the region.
Musical Information Service in Lincoln and Lincolnshire.
A focus for Lincolnshire's
musical organisations and music-lovers.